Pregnancy is a unique time when the body will change in dramatic ways within a relatively short period of time. That means a woman’s posture, weight, physiology is all challenged. In many cases I am working with a woman that has been symptom free prior to her pregnancy.
IN THE FOURTH TRIMESTER (POST-PARTUM)
Follow up care with your chiropractor in the Fourth Trimester can be extremely beneficial for both mother and baby. This is a time of transition where hormones are shifting, and our connective tissue is healing. You may be sleep deprived and hurting in new places or you may have tremendous relief from aliments from during your pregnancy. Common post-partum complaints include headaches, neck and shoulder tension, upper and lower back pain. All chiropractic treatments, stretches and adjustments just general patient positioning can be modified for that individual’s needs. Chiropractic can not only address aches and pains but be very calming and supportive to the central nervous system at a time where it is undergoing a lot of change, mentally, physically, and biochemically. Even for those who have had a cesarean section, I encourage my patients to come as soon as they are ready. We try to carve out time and space for strollers and breastfeeding in the office when baby is coming along too.
Many cultures around the world have various traditions for the post-partum period. Here are some general recommendations:
- Continue taking your prenatal vitamins
- Stay hydrated with room temperature water or herbal teas
- Schedule a chiropractic checkup within the first 4 weeks
- Use caution with early stretching and exercise due to hypermobility
- Get outdoors when possible
- Have a regularly scheduled outlet like support groups or post-partum doula visits
- Consider establishing yourself with a Pelvic Floor Physical Therapist.
- Precision Physical Therapy (Clayton)
- Legacy Physical Therapy (South St. Louis County & St. Peters)
If you have had a child in the last year (beyond the fourth trimester) this is still a great time to start chiropractic care for the first time and address the body changes related to pregnancy, labor, delivery and life after baby. We understand you may have lots of questions. Call our office for a complimentary consultation and let them know it is for prenatal or post-partum chiropractic care!